Today I have one last side dish option for you before the holiday, a slightly different take on creamed spinach that makes it taste more like one of my favourite dips, spinach and artichoke dip! Basically this is creamed spinach with the addition of artichokes and it uses cream cheese and parmesan to make it taste like the dip and it’s super easy to make! You really just need to cook some onions, make the cream sauce, add the spinach and artichokes and you are done. One of the things that I like about this side dish, other than the amazing flavour, is that it ‘s a stove top recipe and on a busy holiday dinner where there is a roast and usually other side dishes that require oven time this side does not. Another nice thing about this side is that it reheats really well so you can make it a day ahead of time! I have to say that it’s really nice to be able to enjoy my favourite dip at the dinner table I just need to be careful and stop saying “Please pass the chips!” while eating the
I mean creamed spinach and artichokes!
spinach and artichoke dip
This creamed creamed spinach and artichokes is great all by itself but being the bacon addict that I am I like to top it off with some crispy bacon!
Creamed Spinach and Artichokes
Creamed spinach that tastes just like spinach and artichoke dip! Does it get any better than having a tasty dip as a side dish for dinner?
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese (low fat is ok), room temperature
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour, mix and cook for another minute.
- Add the milk and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and parmesan and cook until they melt.
- Mix in the spinach and artichokes, cook until warmed and season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Option: Replace the spinach with kale or other green leaf.
Option: Add bacon!
Option: Top with mozzarella and bake until melted.
Option: Add some mayonnaise.