Creamed corn is a fabulous side dish for any meal and it gets even better when you kick it up with the flavours of jalapeno poppers! Jalapeno poppers are a tasty treat where jalapenos are stuffed with cream cheese and cheddar cheese before being coated in breadcrumbs (or batter) and fried until crispy! The warm melted cheese just busts into your mouth when you bite into them! The sweetness of corn is a perfect combo with cheese and jalapenos! To make this creamed corn jalapeno popper like, cream cheese and cheddar cheese are melted into the cream sauce and plenty of sliced jalapenos are added before topping it all off with even more cheese and baking it until everything is all melted and good! I often like to add bacon to my jalapeno poppers and it is an amazing addition to this jalapeno popper creamed corn!
Jalapeno Popper Creamed Corn
A simple creamed corn with all of the flavours of jalapeno poppers, including plenty of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and bacon!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and separated
- 1/4 cup jalapenos, sliced or diced
- 4 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 6 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- Cook the bacon in a large oven safe pan/skillet until crispy before transferring to paper towels to drain and drain off the excess grease from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat, when it gets frothy and just starts to brown, sprinkle in the flour, mix well and let it cook until it starts to turn a light brown.
- Add the milk, mix well, and simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring as it simmers.
- Add the cream cheese and half of the cheddar cheese and cook until they have melted into the sauce.
- Mix the sauce, bacon, jalapenos, green onions and corn, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.
Option: Fresh and pickled jalapenos are both great in this!
Option: Mix up the cheese! Use some or all monterey jack, mozzarella, etc.
Option: You can make this all in one dish, an oven safe pan or skillet, or you can cook the bacon and make the sauce in one pan and transfer to a baking dish to bake.
Option: Add a pinch of paprika!
Option: Sprinkle panko bread crumbs on top before baking for the jalapeno popper crispy coating experience!