I know I seem to say this a lot but I can’t believe that it is fall already and what’s more is that this weekend is the Canadian Thanksgiving already! With that in mind I just had to share some Thanksgiving recipe ideas and since creative side dishes are what I enjoy most about a Thanksgiving feast I started with this spinach and feta mashed cauliflower. Mashed cauliflower is a healthy and light alternative to mashed potatoes and when you jazz them up with things like spinach and feta they become an absolute delight that could easily outshine the main on your dinner plate. The flavours in this mashed cauliflower are based on spanakopita a Greek spinach and feta phyllo pie with fresh herbs like dill and green onions. Normally mashed potatoes are made nice and creamy with the addition of heavy/whipping cream and/or sour cream, cream cheese and loads of butter but I went with creamy Greek style yogurt and a touch of butter to keep things lighter. Whether you are serving this spinach and feta mashed cauliflower at a Thanksgiving dinner or just any old weeknight dinner, they are super quick and easy and just packed with flavour!
Spinach and Feta Mashed Cauliflower
Mashed cauliflower is a great alternative to mashed potatoes and this mashed cauliflower is packed with flavour with spinach and feta, styled after the Greek spinach and feta pie, spanakopita.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream or cream cheese
- 5 ounces spinach (cooked fresh cooked or thawed frozen), squeezed of excess liquid and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- milk to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower in a steamer over boiling water and steam until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mash the cauliflower with a masher or in a food processor.
- Mix in the butter, greek yogurt, spinach, feta, green onion and dill along with enough milk to bring the mashed cauliflower to the desired consistency before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Steam some cloves of garlic along with the cauliflower and mash them into the cauliflower.
Option: Cook and mash the cauliflower a day or two ahead of time and simply warm and mix everything in when ready to serve.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Mashed Potatoes
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes topped with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Spinach and Feta Quinoa Salad
Spinach and Feta Clafoutis
Creamed Spinach and Artichokes
Greek Lemon Foil Roasted Potatoes
Asiago Roasted Mushroom Mashed Cauliflower
Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Easy Mashed Potatoes
Horseradish Mashed Parsnips and Celery Root
Salt and Vinegar Mashed Potatoes
Spinach and Feta Baked Chicken