herb roasted turkey breast
was the center piece of my Thanksgiving meal, this side dish was what I was looking forward to. You just can’t go wrong with creamy mashed potatoes and I had been dreaming about these mashed potatoes for a while now. I don’t make mashed potatoes all that often because I tend to inhale them a little too quickly but this was a special occasion so it was alright. Adding cheese to mashed potatoes is a sure fire way to add a ton of flavour and this time I wanted to try using a creamy blue cheese to give them a nice tanginess. Blue cheese also goes well with sautéed mushrooms and sweet caramelized onions and the plan was to top those fluffy white cloud like mashed potatoes with them.
This mashed potato dish is pretty straight forward to make but because of all of the slicing, chopping, sautéing, boiling and mashing they take a bit of time and effort but they are well worth it! The tangy blue cheese mellows out nicely in the mashed potatoes adding that hint of flavour without overpowering them. The mashed potatoes would have been pretty amazing just like that but topping them with the caramelized mushrooms and onions took them out of this world! The flavour combination of the blue cheese with the mushrooms and sweet caramelized onions was fantastic and serving them on those heavenly white cloud like mashed potatoes finished the dish off perfectly.
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 ounces blue cheese (crumbled, room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- milk to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash.
- Mix in the blue cheese, butter and milk to taste.
- Mix in the parsley.
Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine (or broth)
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until it starts to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they release their liquids, it evaporates and the mushrooms start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine, deglazed the pan and cook until it has evaporated.
White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes Smothered in Coffee Gravy
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup
French Onion Soup
Baked Brie Topped with Caramelized Mushrooms
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Mashed Potatoes
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Spinach and Feta Mashed Cauliflower
Asiago Roasted Mushroom Mashed Cauliflower
Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes