For me the center piece of the Thanksgiving dinner is definitely the turkey. Because I am not usually cooking for a huge family I generally find it easier to just get a turkey breast rather than a whole turkey. Turkey breasts can come quite large with the one that I got this time weighing in at 6 pounds without any bones so you can easily feed a small family with just one. Although I sometimes miss not having the whole carcass to use to make turkey stock I definitely enjoy using the leftovers that I do get to make turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce .
Since I knew that I would be going a bit overboard with one of the side dishes this year, I decided to keep things simple and I went with a herb roasted turkey breast with some sage, rosemary and thyme. When you are roasting a turkey you simply cannot let those pan drippings go to waste as they make for a really tasty gravy! Just like Thanksgiving would not be the same without turkey, the turkey would not be the same without some cranberry sauce and this year I went with a gingered cranberry sauce . For the carb side, I went with some creamy blue cheese mashed potatoes topped with caramelized onions and mushrooms and for the green side, I went with some brussels sprouts with bacon and lemon . This years turkey dinner was a huge success!
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
A simple herb roasted turkey breast that makes a great Thanksgiving meal for a small gathering.
- 1 (6 pound) turkey breast, skin on, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using your fingers separate the skin from the turkey breast leaving one side attached.
- Mix the oil, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, rub the mixture all over turkey under the skin and brush the top of the skin with oil.
- Place the turkey in a stove top safe roasting pan, roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven for 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 325F/170C and roast until the middle of the turkey reaches 160F, about 1 hour.
- Place the turkey on a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let it rest for a 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting pan on the stove over medium heat, add the chicken stock and flour and simmer, while scraping the brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon, until the gravy thickens and season with salt and pepper.
Roast Turkey Sandwich with Cranberry Sauce
Roast Turkey Cobb Sandwich
Grilled Turkey and Brie Sandwich with Cranberry Chutney
Roast Turkey Cuban Sandwich
Roast Turkey Sandwich with Artichoke Tapenade, Caramelized Onions and Roasted Red Peppers
The Kimchi Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich with Kimchi)
Texmex Hot and Brown
Thanksgiving Eggs Benedict
Thanksgiving Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich)
Turkey, Cranberry, Brie and Pear Sandwiches with Avocado and Bacon
Cranberry and Brie Turkey Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Bacon