A couple of weeks ago I used some leftover
and they reminded me of the
, which is essentially a reuben sandwich that uses turkey rather than corned beef. Last week when I roasted a turkey breast to make the
roast turkey sandwich with artichoke tapenade, caramelized onions and roasted red peppers
I made sure to save some to make a few rachel sandwiches and to try something new, adding kimchi!
is a spicy Korean fermented cabbage and it seems only natural to combine it with the sauerkraut since it is also a fermented cabbage. One issue with adding the kimchi is that kimchi can have a bit of liquid on it and since you don’t want a soggy sandwich it is a good idea to saute it a bit before adding it to the sandwich. I have to say that this is one tasty sandwich and with it we are off to a great start to April, the national grilled cheese month! I served the kimchi rachel sandwiches with some sweet potato chips which pair well with the spicy kimchi.
The Kimchi Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich with Kimchi)
A twist on the Rachel sandwich with roast turkey, spicy butter fried kimchi, tangy russian dressing and swiss cheese in rye that is grilled until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons kimchi, squeezed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, squeezed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices rye, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded and at room temperature
- 1-2 slices roast turkey, warm
- 1 tablespoon russian dressing or thousand islands dressing
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat until it bubbles, add the kimchi and sauerkraut and saute until most of the moisture has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread, top with the turkey, kimchi sauerkraut, dressing, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Add the sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
The Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich)
Kimchi Reuben Sandwich
Roast Turkey Cuban Sandwich
Turkey Sandwich with Cranberry Sauce
Roast Turkey Sandwich with Artichoke Tapenade, Caramelized Onions and Roasted Red Peppers
Cranberry and Brie Turkey Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Bacon
Cranberry and Brie Turkey Quesadillas with Avocado and Candied Jalapenos