Creamy mashed potatoes make for a great side dish. They are so easy to make and they are addictively good. Although simple buttery mashed potatoes are great, mashed potatoes are pretty much a blank slate, just begging for flavour to be added. Common additions to mashed potatoes include butter, creams, cheeses, herbs, etc. One of the things that I like about mashed potatoes is that the soak up the other flavours on the plate making them even better. It was with this in mind that I chose to serve mashed potatoes with my
steak in pink peppercorn sauce
dinner. I served the steak on the mashed potatoes so that some of the sauce would drip onto them and after the steak was gone they worked perfectly to soak up all of the excess sauce on the plate. I had some really sharp white cheddar cheese and I thought that it would go perfectly in the mashed potatoes along with some garlic that had mellowed out by simmering with the potatoes. I used some of those small new potatoes with the red skin and I left the skins on to add a bit of colour and texture to the mashed potatoes. The white cheddar and garlic mashed potatoes were nice and warm and creamy and full of flavour and they went really well with the steak dinner.
White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream or cream cheese or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- milk to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes and garlic until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic and mash.
- Mix in the butter, sour cream, cheese and enough milk to bring the potatoes to the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Lemon Roasted Potatoes
Potatoes au Gratin
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Mashed Potatoes
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Asiago Roasted Mushroom Mashed Cauliflower
Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes