Mashed potatoes are a staple side dish and why not change things up a bit by adding flavours? I saw the idea for salt and vinegar mashed potatoes on pinterest and it sounded absolutely fabulous! I am a fan of salt and vinegar chips and it did not take much for me to imagine just how good salt and vinegar mashed would be! This is a pretty regular mashed potato recipe with a splash of malt vinegar and a pinch of flaked salt so that you get hits of saltiness in your mouth as you eat it! I have also been into the magical flavour combination of butter and miso so I could not help but try adding a hit of miso, and it works so well, adding some umami along with the saltiness! Yum! These salt and vinegar mashed potatoes are simply divine! The perfect side dish?
Salt and Vinegar Mashed Potatoes
Easy mashed potatoes with the flavours of salt and vinegar chips!
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon white miso (optional but very good)
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch flaked salt
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover in water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes well, mash by hand and mix in the butter, miso, and vinegar along with enough sour cream to get the mashed potatoes to the desired consistency.
- Season with salt to taste. (It should be salty to balance the vinegar but not too salty.)
Easy Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Mashed Potatoes
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes topped with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes Smothered in Coffee Gravy
Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Mushrooms
Cheesy Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Potatoes
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Andouille Cream
Spinach and Feta Mashed Cauliflower
Asiago Roasted Mushroom Mashed Cauliflower
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potatoes