Although I generally like to plan my meals out for the week, sometimes things don’t work out as planned. At the end of this week I noticed that I had an extra bunch of spinach in my fridge that I had not used during the week and it now needed to be finished rather quickly. Luckily I had an idea of what to do with it; I had been thinking about using the spinach, feta and herb flavour combination in a quinoa salad and now was as good a time as any to try it. Well, perhaps not the best time, as I had envisioned making it with white quinoa and all that I had on hand was a mix of white and red quinoa, but that would not affect the flavour so I was good to go. This quinoa salad was pretty easy to make and once you had everything in the pot you can pretty much just sit back and wait for it to finish cooking. The spinach and feta flavour combination worked really well in the quinoa salad and the one thing that I liked the most, outside of the flavour, was how light and fresh the quinoa salad seemed. It is always nice when a last minute dish turns out so good!
Spinach and Feta Quinoa Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 bunch spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth or water)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dill (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable broth, parsley, dill and season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and hit it with a splash lemon juice and mix in the feta.
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Zucchini and Kimchi Quinoa Salad
Baby Artichoke Heart Quinoa Risotto with Shrimp and Meyer Lemon Pesto
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Quinoa Salad
Thai Style Black Quinoa Salad
Spinach and Feta Mashed Cauliflower
Pesto Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Quinoa and Arugula Salad with Almonds, Pomegranate and Feta in a Lemony Tahini Dressing
Roast Acorn Squash, Sweet Potato and Beet Kale and Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate in a Cilantro Lemon Tahini Dressing