Throughout fall I have been
roasting red peppers
and freezing them so that I can enjoy them for the rest of the year and along the way I have not been able to resist using a few of them! I have really been enjoying quinoa since I discovered it and in particular, using it to make simple salads with seasonal ingredients and I figured that a roasted red pepper quinoa salad would be perfect for fall! Keeping things simple is the name of the game and I went with some onions and garlic in addition to the roasted red pepper and quinoa. A salad such as this just cries out for a fresh herb and oregano seemed to fit the bill. Roasted red peppers are an little on the sweet side so some salty feta would fit nicely and some chick peas would bulk up the salad a bit. With that I just needed a dressing and since roasted red peppers and balsamic vinegar go well together a
was the obvious choice. Salads like this one make for great side dishes or even light meals and in fact I have been enjoying the leftovers for breakfasts this week. Speaking of the leftovers, they are nice either warmed up in the microwave or straight from the fridge.
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Quinoa Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 roasted red peppers (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed, I used a mix of white and red)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth or water)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the roasted red peppers, quinoa, vegetable broth and oregano, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the chickpeas, feta and balsamic vinaigrette.
Spinach and Feta Quinoa Salad
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Rice
Moroccan Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Asparagus and Baby Artichoke Quinoa Salad
Greek Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pasta with Feta and Kalamata Olives
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Quinoa and Arugula Salad with Almonds, Pomegranate and Feta in a Lemony Tahini Dressing