Whenever I make a new pesto, I like to try it out in a basic pesto pasta dish and now that I had just made a roasted red pepper pesto with some Greek inspired flavours, it was time to try it out in a pasta. Although many pestos are balanced and well rounded, I find that roasted red pepper pestos can be a bit on the sweet side and I like to try to re-balance things a bit by adding some salty elements to the dish. With the Greek inspired flavour of fresh oregano already in the roasted red pepper pesto it seemed only natural to turn to some kalamata olives and even more feta cheese to add some saltiness to the dish. The net result was a really tasty roasted red pepper pesto pasta that was just packed with flavour! I particularly enjoyed the hint of balsamic vinegar from the pesto and all of the herbs added a really nice hit of freshness.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Pasta with Feta and Kalamata Olives
- 1 pound pasta (I used whole wheat penne) (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup greek style roasted red pepper pesto
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and coarsely chopped)
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Drain the pasta reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Toss the pasta with the pesto, pasta water, olives and parsley.
- Serve garnished with crumbled feta.