I have been enjoying quinoa ever since I discovered it and one of my favorite ways to enjoy it is in a simple salad. I tend to add some beans to the quinoa followed by some vegetables, often roasted, a nut and then I finish it off with a dressing and some herbs. I recently came across a quinoa chickpea salad on The Whole Kitchen that both followed that basic outline and looked really good. The recipe highlighted cinnamon and I immediatly thought of Moroccan cuisine which often uses complex spice mixtures including cinnamon. Moroccan spiced roasted carrots also happened to be on my to try list so I decided to merge the two ideas and make a Moroccan roasted carrot and chickpea quinoa salad. Of course, I made my own Moroccan spice blend and to ensure though flavouring, I tossed the carrots in some before roasting them, I cooked the quinoa with some and finally I mixed some into the dressing. The roasted carrot and chickpea quinoa salad turned out very nicely! I particularly enjoyed the spice blend and how it both accentuated the sweeter aspects of the salad in the form of the carrots and the raisins and also how it added a nice bit of heat. This salad would make a nice side for many Moroccan dishes and it also goes well by itself.
Moroccan Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- 4 large carrots (peeled and slices 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon moroccan spice blend
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 2 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 2 teaspoons moroccan spice blend
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed) (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted)
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 teaspoon moroccan spice blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the carrots in the olive oil along with the spices.
- Arrange the carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 20-30 minutes, turning them once in the middle.
- Simmer the quinoa in the water along with the spices until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Mix the carrots, quinoa, chickpeas, onion, raisins, pine nuts and parsley in a bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, moroccan spice blend, salt and pepper in a small bowl and then toss the salad in it.
Moroccan Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Mix Everything.
Moroccan Lamb Tagine
Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Asparagus and Shiitake Mushroom Teriyaki Quinoa Salad
Baby Artichoke Heart Quinoa Risotto with Shrimp and Meyer Lemon Pesto
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Quinoa Salad
Moroccan Butternut Squash, Chickpea and Quinoa Tagine
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad