With Easter coming up I was looking for a new recipe for a special breakfast or brunch on the long weekend. While I was going through my bookmarks I came across this recipe for a spinach and feta clafoutis that I had saved a while ago on More Than Burnt Toast and my search for a tasty breakfast was over. A clafouti is a French dish where an egg batter, generally filled with something, is baked and up until I had come across this recipe I had never even considered the possibility of a savoury clafouti. I immediately knew that I would have to try a savoury clafouti and this one was perfect as it was filled with some of my favourite Greek flavours with the spinach and the feta. In fact the flavours reminded me of spanakopita, a Greek spinach pie which I have had no end of fun spinning into different dishes over the years.
This clafoutis is pretty easy to make which makes it perfect for brunches or light weeknight meals. You pretty much just need to saute some onions, wilt the spinach, pour over the egg batter and cheese and bake until golden brown. Despite the minimal effort require to make it, this clafoutis is one tasty dish! The spinach and feta combination along with fresh dill definitely works well in a savoury clafoutis! I now have my breakfast planned for the weekend and I already have other ideas for savoury clafoutis dancing in my head.
Spinach and Feta Clafoutis
A savoury take on a clafoutis with all of your favourite flavours from spanakopita the Greek spinach pie.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 5 ounces baby spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dill (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1 cup kasseri or mozzarella (grated)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the green onion and spinach and saute until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and mix in the dill and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the spinach mixture into a shallow 6 cup baking dish.
- Mix the milk, eggs, and flour in a food processor and pour it on top of the spinach.
- Sprinkle the feta and mozzarella on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until puffed and golden brown on top, about 20-30 minutes.