More of summers bounty is starting to show up at the farmers market and this weekend I came across some fresh peas in their pods. Although it takes a bit of work to get the peas from their protective pods, I always enjoy fresh, sweet and crispy peas. I most often just add them to salads but their sweetness works so well in cheesy risotto that it is hard to resist making a least one batch every summer. Risotto also takes some effort to make but this one with is nice and creamy and with the sweet peas, a splash of lemon, and a hit of mint is just bursting with summery freshness is so worth it.
I wanted to turn this risotto into more of a light meal and one great way to do so is to simply add some shrimp. I could easily have just added the shrimp directly to the risotto along with the peas at the end but I was thinking that I could kick things up a notch by hitting the shrimp with the Creole spice blend that I use on shrimp in shrimp po’ boys . I was also thinking that shrimp tossed in a simple mint pesto would also be really nice on this fresh pea risotto.
Fresh Pea Risotto with Spicy Grilled Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon creole spice blend
- 1/2 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup arborio rice (or other medium or short grained rice)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon mint (chopped)
- Mix the oil and creole spice blend and marinate the shrimp in it.
- Melt the butter in large sauce pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan and stir while simmering until it is gone.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock at a time and stir while simmering until it is gone. Continue until the rice is cooked al dente.
- Mix in the peas, parmigiano reggiano and butter and stir until the cheese and butter has melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the lemon and mint and serve.
- Grill the shrimp until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.