Blink and they’re gone! It looks like ramp season is over here in Toronto which is unfortunate but I certainly did enjoy them over the three weeks that they were available. Last week I pick up a few bunches of them and I was enjoying them for breakfasts during the week. Sometimes the simplest things are the best and this and this breakfast consisting of fried eggs, sauted ramps and a bit of bacon was definitely one of my favourites. Well, I mean you really can’t go wrong when you start out with a little bacon and then you cook everything else in the tasty bacon grease and then you finish things off with a runny egg yolk! I served this breakfast along with a side of fiddleheads in a honey dijon vinaigrette.
Fried Eggs with Ramps and Bacon
Fried eggs with a side of sauteed ramps and bacon make one really tasty way to enjoy a spring breakfast!
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 8 ramps, aka wild leeks, trimmed and cleaned
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili pepper flakes to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat until crispy, about 8-10 minutes, and set aside reserving the grease in the pan.
- Add the ramps and saute until tender and slightly golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, and set aside with the bacon.
- Crack the eggs in the pan and cook until the whites are set and the bottom is slightly golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve the eggs with the bacon and sauteed ramps on the side and season everything with salt, pepper and chili pepper flakes to taste.
It super stupid as a recipe … But it still look delish !
I have read and seen ramps in many recipes but, have never seen them growing wild. Love this recipe.
Kathy Mercure says
Finally! I know what ramps are now! Thanks for sharing.
Food Glorious Food! says
Ohhh look so simple and delectable! I wish I have some ramps for this recipe!
go honey dijon vinegrette!
The Short (dis)Order Cook says
I always had trouble finding ramps and when Whole Paycheck started carrying them, I realized I didn't know what to do with them! I think I still seem them there, so I might just try this while I still can!
This looks lovely for a sunday!
I am obsessed with eggs right now. Loving this dish and that perfect yolk.
Kevin – Any idea how readily available ramps/wild leeks are available in Canada? I'm in Montreal but not sure I've ever seen them in store. Any advice?
Andrea: Ramp season just ended here in Ontario but you might still be able to find them in Montreal. In Toronto, I have only ever seen them at farmers markets and not regular grocery stores.
So am I the only one who things this looks like sperm hovering around an egg? LOL. Having said that, it does look good. Love the blog so far.