Having seen this recipe for
I just had to try it. Meatballs with dill, lemon and feta… They just have to be amazing! They are great by themselves, but toss them in a lightly toasted Greek style pita with some tomatoes, onions, and
and they are even better.
Greek Meatballs (Keftedes) in Pitas with Tzatziki
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound lean ground lamb or beef or pork etc.
- 1 slice of bread (pulsed in a food processor)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or mint (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (crumbled, optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- * greek style pitas
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Tzatziki sauce
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Saute the onions until tender.
- Add the garlic and remove from heat.
- Mix everything in a bowl.
- Roll the mixture into balls.
- Brown the meatballs in a pan. (About 8-10 minutes.)
- Lightly toast the pita in a pan.
- Place the meatballs, tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce in the pita and enjoy.