When I was at the market two weeks ago I saw some red currants that looked really nice. I searched the internet for some recipes that used red currants but I could not find much. In the end I decided to use this recipe for grilled lamb chops as a base and I modified it to use red currants. Since the few recipes that I did find with red currants used red currant jam I decided to add some honey to balance the sourness of the vinegar and the currants. This weekend I picked the red currants up when I was at the market. The dish turned out surprisingly well. The red currants added a really nice tartness. I will definitely be making this again.
Grilled Lamb Chops in Red Currant and Rosemary Sauce
- 4 lamb chops
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red currants (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the fat from around the lamb chops.
- Place the lamb chops into a ziplock bag with the rest of the ingredients. Place the ziplock bag into the fridge and let marinate for 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Broil the lamb chops in the oven for about 5 minutes per side.
- Place the marinade into a small pan and reduce to a sauce.
- Place the lamb chop onto a plate and cover with the sauce.
Lamb Chops with Pomegranate and Red Wine Sauce
Lamb Chops in Cherry and Port Sauce
Greek Style Grilled Lamb Chops
This is the second mention I’ve seen of red currants in just a few days time, and I’ve never even seen them here. I love the way you’ve modified my recipe. Sounds like it would taste wonderful.
lovely! sounds delicious 🙂
Thanks for such a flavorful WHB entry, Kevin. I agree with you about the recipes for currants; so many call for jam, but I prefer using fresh, like you did. I haven’t combined currants with rosemary yet, but I’ll definitely try it now.
Aussie Leroy says
Cant believe this guy trimmed the fat of the lamb chops!
There is so much flavour in the fat of lamb chops and it also keeps the chops moist and suculent.