Carrots are a great side dish for any meal, including Easter, and one of my favourite ways to cook carrots is to roast them! Roasted carrots are super easy to make, you pretty much just toss peeled and sliced carrots in oil, optionally with some seasoning, and roast them on a pan in the oven. While the carrots roast in the oven they get tender and they start to caramelize, which helps concentrate and bring out their natural sweetness and flavour. Once the carrots have been roasted you can either serve them as is or you can toss them in a sauce or a glaze. This Asian inspired glaze is one of my go-to recipes and it includes honey, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar and toasted sesame seeds and oil! These honey sesame glazed carrots come together in almost no time and they are a great side for any meal!
Honey Sesame Roasted Carrots
Tender roasted carrots in an Asian inspired honey, garlic and ginger sauce with the aroma of toasted sesame!
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil (or butter)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced/grated
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, minced/grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Toss the carrots in the oil, salt and pepper, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 425F/220C oven until tender, about 20-25 minutes, turning the carrots half way through.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the honey, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan, mix and turn off the heat.
- 4, Toss the roasted carrots in the sauce along with the sliced green onions, sesame oil and sesame seeds and enjoy!
Option: Add some heat with chili pepper flakes or chili sauce (such as sriracha or sambal oelek) to taste!