I just can’t seem to help myself; every time I walk through Chinatown those cases of perfectly ripe mangoes just keep calling to me and I end up walking home with another. I needed to use some more mangoes and the best way that I know to use a lot of fruit in a hurry is to make jam with it. I have made several jams over the last two years starting with single fruit or berry jams and then moving on to two fruit or berry jams. This time I wanted to try adding a spice to a jam. I have been enjoying cardamom lately and cardamom seems to be commonly paired with mangoes so I thought that a mango and cardamom jam would be a good idea. The box of pectin crystals that I normally get did not have a recipe for a mango jam on it so I kind of winged it using the ratios from the other recipes. Luckily it turned out well, thickening nicely but not too much. I left a lot of the pieces of mangoes fairly large as I like chunks of fruit in my jams. The mango and cardamom jam turned out great! It is nice and sweet and just bursting with mango flavour and the cardamom goes really well with mango! I will certainly be enjoying this jam!
Mango and Cardamom Jam
- 4 cups mango (stoned, peeled, chopped)
- 1 box pectin crystals
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cardamom pods (crushed and ground)
- Bring the mangoes and pectin crystals to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and cardamom and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.