When I got the mangoes earlier in the week for the jerked pork wraps with mango and banana salsa I could not resist getting a full case. Even with snacking on them during the week I still had a lot left over and the first thing that came to mind as to how to use them was a jam. I remembered that when I made the mango and cardamom jam I was thinking that the flecks of cardamom looked like flecks of vanilla beans. A mango and vanilla jam also sounded really good and I had wanted to try making some. I used pretty much used the same recipe and replaced the cardamom with the seeds from a vanilla bean. I wanted this mango jam to be much chunkier so I cut the mango pieces bigger and did not mash them up. The mango and vanilla flavour combo turned out to be a great one! For some reason the vanilla seems to make this mango jam seem even sweeter. So far I have been enjoying the mango and vanilla jam on toast and it also goes really well on some plain yogurt for breakfast.
Mango and Vanilla Jam
- 4 cups mango (stoned, peeled, chopped, lightly mashed)
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds)
- 1 box pectin crystals
- Bring the mangoes, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla to boil over high heat in a large pot.
- Add the pectin, bring to a hard boil and hard boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.