I am a huge fan of caramelized onions and over the last little while I have been experimenting with adding different flavours to them. Some of my more recent experiments include the
balsamic caramelized onions
chipotle caramelized onions
. Each of these different kinds of caramelized onions has found a home in one or more sandwiches and they have taken those sandwiches to whole new levels of greatness! For my next caramelized onions I was thinking about a batch that could be used in a breakfast sandwich and maple caramelized onions seemed like the perfect way to go!
These maple caramelized onions are really easy to make but it does take a bit of time to properly caramelize the onions and it is definitely worth it! I added the maple flavour simply by adding some maple syrup at the end when the onions are just about caramelized along with a touch of vinegar for some tang.
Maple Caramelized Onions
Sweet maple-y caramelized onions.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and water and cook until completely tender and caramelized and golden, about 40-50 minutes, adding more water as needed.
- Stir in the maple syrup and vinegar and cook until most of the liquid is gone, about 2-3 minutes.