I could not let eggplant season go by without trying this tasty looking recipe for melitzanosalata or a Greek eggplant salad or dip similar to a baba ghanoush. The base melitzanosalata recipe calls for grilled aubergine, olive oil and lemon juice. This recipe adds some garlic and feta for flavour and some parsley for colour. Unfortunately I do not have a grill so I was forced to broil the eggplant in the oven. It turned out really well! I ate it as a dip with baked pitas and I ended up finishing it all in one sitting. I now have one more tasty eggplant recipe in my collection. I have really been enjoying eggplants so far this summer!
Melitzanosalata (Greek Eggplant Salad)
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup feta (optional)
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pierce the eggplant with a fork a few times and grill or broil it until it is charred on all sides.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to work with, cut it open and scoop out the inside.
- Blend the eggplant, garlic, feta and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Add olive oil to bring it to the desired consistency.
- Mix in the parsley and season to taste.