This Mexican style black bean soup is one of my favourite quick and easy soups that I make all the time! It’s a super simple recipe where veggies, in this case onions and peppers, are cooked before adding broth, beans, and tomatoes and simmering a little. The soup is seasoned with garlic, paprika, cumin, chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, oregano, worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce, making for one flavour packed soup! You can either leave the beans whole, or you can puree some of them to make the soup creamy with some texture, or you can puree everything for a smooth soup! This is the quick version which uses canned beans but it also works really well when starting with dried beans that are soaked, and cooked. I like to garnish the soup with crema, crumbled cheese, cilantro and corn chips but you can use your favourite Mexican style toppings!
Mexican Style Black Bean Soup
A smooth and creamy Mexican style black bean soup with smoky chipotles, cumin, and oregano.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or beef broth or chicken broth)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion and bell pepper, and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and chipotle chilies in adobo, and cook until tender, about a minute.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, oregano, worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree some, or all, of the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor or in a blender.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste before mixing in the cilantro and enjoying.
Option: Add chorizo!
Option: Add bacon!
Option: Add 1/2 cup lentils and 1 additional cup broth.
Option: Add 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 additional cup broth.
Option: Garnish with crumbled queso fresco or feta.
Option: Melt cheese into the soup!
Option: Garnish with crema or sour cream.
Option: Mix sour cream into the soup!
Option: Garnish with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Option: Garnish with pepitas.
Option: Garnish with avocado.