With asparagus season fading and summers produce starting to enter the farmers market I wanted to try a few of my favorites asparagus recipes. Top on my list was the asparagus pesto pasta . I had discovered a while ago that asparagus makes for a really nice pesto and I have been making it every year since. Pestos normally include a nut and I usually use pine nuts as they add a really nice creaminess to pestos. Recently I had been wondering about using pistachios in a pesto and I though that now was the perfect chance to try. This is one pretty green pesto with the asparagus, pistachios and even a bit of spinach. Of course the first thing that I thought to try the pesto on was a pasta and my choice of noodles was a whole wheat penne making for a nice light and fairly healthy Summer meal. The pistachio asparagus penne was a breeze to make and it tasted great! The pistachios worked really well in the asparagus pesto and I am looking forward to experimenting with using them in more pestos.
Pistachio Asparagus Pesto Pasta
- 1 pound pasta (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 cup pistachio asparagus pesto (see below)
- parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated, optional garnish)
- asparagus tips (optional garnish)
- pistachios (chopped, optional garnish)
- Cook the pasta in well salted water as directed on the package.
- When the pasta is cooked to al dente drain the pasta water reserving some of it.
- Pour the pasta back into the still hot pan, add the pesto and enough of the pasta water to make a smooth sauce that coats the pasta.
- Serve garnished with parmigiano reggiano, the asparagus tips and some chopped pistachios.
Pistachio Asparagus Pesto
- 1 cup asparagus (cleaned, trimmed, blanched and chopped)
- 1/4 cup spinach (optional, helps keep the pesto nice and green)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pistachios (toasted)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- lemon juice to taste (optional)
- salt to taste
- Place everything into a food processor and blend.
Asparagus Pesto on Penne
Garlic Scape Pesto on Fusilli
Wild Leek Pesto on Penne
Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Pasta
Asparagus and Baby Artichoke Quinoa Salad
Zucchini Pistou Pasta
Swiss Chard Pesto
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, Asparagus and Pistachio Pesto and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken