One of my favorite ways to cook asparagus is to roast it as roasting seems to concentrate the flavour. Simple roasted asparagus seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper is makes a great side dish and you can easily top it with various things to change it up from meal to meal. You could also top it with something more substantial, like an egg, and turn it into a light meal. Though I have done roasted asparagus topped with fried eggs, scrambled eggs and even chopped up hard boiled eggs my favorite is a poached egg. Roasted asparagus topped with a poached egg makes for a really nice light and healthy meal that I have been enjoying often on weekend mornings over the last few weeks. Really, how can you go wrong topping anything with an egg with a nice runny yolk? I also like to top everything off with some freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and sometimes even a splash of balsamic vinegar.
Roasted Asparagus with Poached Egg
- 1 pound thick asparagus (trimmed)
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated, optional)
- balsamic vinegar to taste (optional)
- Spread the asparagus out in a single layer on a flat baking dish.
- Roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Crack an egg into a bowl and pour the egg from the bowl into the water and repeat for remaining eggs.
- Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus on plates and top with the poached eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on some parmigiano reggiano.
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in Hollandaise Sauce
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in a Dill and Caper Avgolemono Sauce
Parmigiano Reggiano Crusted Oven Roasted Asparagus
Maple Dijon Roasted Asparagus
Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon and Avocado
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Poached Egg and Hollandaise Sauce