I certainly have been enjoying the fresh local asparagus so far this season and in particular I have been using the asparagus and egg combination a lot. Although it is now late in the season, the local asparagus is still readily available at the farmers market which is fortuitous as I recently came across another nice sounding asparagus and egg dish called asparagus mimosa. Asparagus mimosa is a simple dish where the asparagus is served in a lemon and mustard vinaigrette and topped with a hard boiled egg that has been forced through a sieve. This asparagus and egg dish is quite easy to make and just bursting with freshness from the sweet and juicy asparagus to the bright lemon juice in the dressing to the fresh chopped herbs. I particularly liked the texture of the sieved eggs in this dish, though it was not very easy to clean the egg out of the sieve after so I think I will try using a fine grater next time. What a wonderful way to enjoy some asparagus!
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful parsley or chives (chopped)
- Cover the eggs in water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 7 minutes.
- Transfer the eggs to cold water and let cool enough to hold.
- Meanwhile cook the asparagus in boiling water until it just turns bright green, about 2-3 minutes.
- Run the asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside.
- Remove the shell from the egg and force the egg through a sieve with medium sized holes.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss the asparagus in the dressing and plate it, topping it with the remaining dressing and the egg and garnish with the parsley.
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in Hollandaise Sauce
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in an Avgolemono Sauce
Roasted Asparagus with Poached Egg
Grilled Asparagus and Tomatoes in a Kalamata Olive and Feta Vinaigrette
Egg Salad Sandwich
Lemon and Feta Grilled Asparagus
Asparagus Bacon and Egg Salad