Although hollandaise sauce is amazingly good, it is a guilty please given that it has a half a cup of butter in it. While I was enjoying the asparagus with a poached egg in hollandaise sauce earlier in the week, the lemony nature of the sauce reminded me of another lemony sauce, avgolemono sauce . An avgolemono sauce is a Greek egg and lemon based sauce that is really tasty without all of the butter. In addition to the egg and the lemon juice, avgolemono needs a liquid and that liquid is commonly the liquid of dish that you will be adding the sauce to, though you could always use a broth or a stock. Since I would be serving my avgolemono sauce on asparagus I used the water that I cooked the asparagus in as the liquid in the sauce. Normally an avgolemono sauce would be finished with this but I commonly associate dill and capers with lemony sauces and I could not resist adding some to this one. Of course you can turn this from a side dish to a light meal that is perfect for breakfast or brunch by topping it off with a poached egg.
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in a Dill and Caper Avgolemono Sauce
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed and cleaned)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1 tablespoon dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 eggs
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water until it just turns dark green, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the water, reserving 1/2 cup of it.
- Rinse the asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking process and set aside.
- Whisk the egg in bowl until frothy.
- Slowly whisk in the lemon juice followed by the reserved asparagus water.
- Heat in a small sauce pan while whisking until the sauce thickens, mix in the dill and capers and remove from heat. (Do not bring it to a boil.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Swirl the water in the pot.
- Crack an egg into a bowl and pour the egg from the bowl into the water. Repeat for the remaining egg.
- Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes and fish them out.
- Split the asparagus between two plates, top with the poached eggs and the dill and caper avgolemono sauce.
Asparagus with a Poached Egg in Hollandaise Sauce
Roasted Asparagus with Poached Egg
Pan Seared Tilapia in Avgolemono Sauce
Asparagus and Walnut Phyllo Pie (aka Asparagus Baklava) with Avgolemono Sauce
Cod Wrapped in Crispy Potatoes with a Dill and Caper Sauce
Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Pesto, Goat Cheese and a Poached Egg