The grocery stores are still full of pomegranates and I could not resist picking some more up. Pomegranates seem to be made perfectly for throwing into salads and I was thinking about salads again while deciding what to do with these ones. This time I wanted to try something more seasonal and a bit different from the last few pomegranate salads than I had made. I also happened to have some butternut squash and hand and it kept popping into my head so I thought, why not a warm roasted butternut squash and pomegranate salad? Pomegranates have a Mediterranean feel to them so I thought that it would be nice to season the butternut squash with some Mediterranean spices before roasting them for an extra kick of flavour. Other that the roasted butternut squash and the pomegranate seeds, I called upon the usual suspects for a salad including some romaine lettuce, walnuts and feta. Of course I had to go with the pomegranate vinaigrette that I have been enjoying so much lately for the dressing. The warm roasted spiced butternut squash went well in the salad and the contrasting temperatures, textures and flavours were really amazing. While I was enjoying the salad I thought that it would also work well with other types of squash or pumpkins, sweet potatoes or even beets. I am looking forward to playing around with this kind of salad some more.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Salad
- 2 cups butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into bit sized cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups romaine lettuce (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (toasted)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup feta
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinaigrette
- Toss the butternut squash with the olive oil, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 30-40 minutes and set aside.
- Assembled the salad and toss with the dressing to coat.
Pomegranate Tabbouleh Salad
Pomegranate and Pistachio Couscous
Roasted Eggplant, Red Pepper and Green Bean Pomegranate Salad
Caramelized Pumpkin and Gorgonzola Salad
Festive Roast Pumpkin Salad
Pomegranate and Roasted Tomato Bulgur Salad
Apple and Pomegranate Quinoa and Kale Salad with Feta in a Curried Maple Dijon Dressing