I always enjoy soups during the fall and today I a recipe for a tasty shrimp and feta soup to share with you! The flavours of this soup are inspired by shrimp saganaki, a Greek dish where shrimp is served in a simple tomato and feta sauce along with bread to scoop it up with. I was thinking that it would be simple to make the same tomato and feta sauce, except more like broth, for a tasty soup! This soup gets all of its amazing flavour from the simple tomato, feta and shrimp combo with accents of garlic and onion and a hint of fennel. All said and done this shrimp and feta soup (aka shrimp saganaki soup) takes less that 30 minutes oto make making it a great option for weeknight dinners and any leftovers are great for lunch to next day!
Shrimp and Feta Soup (aka Shrimp Saganaki Soup)
A quick and easy Greek style shrimp soup in a tasty tomato and feta broth!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth – link this
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion and cook unit tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds and cooking for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the shrimp and feta and simmering until the shrimp is cooked,about 3-5 minutes, before enjoying with crusty bread!
Option: Add some dill!