This is a straight forward chicken stew that’s simple and packed with flavour! It starts out by browning the skin of some chicken thighs and cooking tasty Spanish style chorizo sausage. Onions and bell peppers are then cooked before adding chicken broth and tomatoes along with the chicken and sausage, before simmering until the chicken is super tender! Paprika, garlic and oregano form the main aspects of the seasoning and I like to add plenty of olives for even more flavour! I tend to add chickpeas (or potatoes) to fill the stew out and it’s served over rice or pasta for a complete meal!
Spanish Style Chicken and Chorizo Stew
A spanish style chicken stew with chorizo sausage, paprika and plenty of bell pepper!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces spanish chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, diced or sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced or sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced or sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups chicken broth – link this
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup green olives (optionally sliced)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes, before flipping and cooking the other side, and setting aside.
- Add the chorizo and cook, adding more oil if required, before setting aside.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and more oil if required, and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and paprika and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan, by scraping any brown bits up off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the wine sizzles.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, oregano, olives, and chickpeas, mix, add the chicken, and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 20+ minutes.
- Mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Serve over cooked rice or pasta.