After the success of the pumpkin pie pancakes that I made a while ago I was thinking that sweet potato pie pancakes would also be good. The basic idea was a pancake with all of the flavours of a sweet potato pie or a sweet potato casserole . I pretty much just took my basic pancake recipe with some of the flour replaced with whole wheat flour and added some pureed sweet potato long with some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. For the sweet potato puree, you just need to cook a sweet potato until it is nice and soft and mash it up. I like to slow roast sweet potatoes as they caramelize and that adds a ton of flavour. The Sweet potato pie pancakes turned out great! They were nice and light and fluffy and moist and good. I really enjoyed the sweet potato flavour in the pancakes. I served the sweet potato pancakes with maple syrup, toasted pecans and topped them off with a slice of melting butter. It is always fun transforming your favorite deserts into breakfasts!
Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (cooked)
- 1 handful pecans (chopped)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk, egg, butter and mashed sweet potato in another bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.
- Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Bread with Praline Sauce
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Baked Sweet Potato Oatmeal with Pecan Streusel
Maple Pecan Melting Sweet Potatoes
Muffin Pan Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Gratins
Creamy Brie Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Soup
Breakfast Loaded Sweet Potato Fries