Sweet potato casserole is another classic Thanksgiving side dish that I find difficult to resist. When I first encountered the sweet potato casserole a few years ago it sounded a lot more like a dessert to me but now I am perfectly happy serving it as a side dish. In addition to tasting great, the sweet potato casserole is nice and easy to make, however it does require a bit of time as you need to make the mashed sweet potatoes followed by baking the casserole itself. If you have the time you can roast the sweet potatoes and mash them a day ahead but if you are making them on the big day, it might be easier to boil them to save in oven space which is always at a premium. Once the mashed sweet potatoes are ready, you simply need to mix in a few things, top with the pecan crumble topping and bake it until golden brown on top. I always like to use a bit of maple syrup in my sweet potato casserole but you can add other things like a shot of bourbon to keep things interesting. The crumble topping is another place that I like to experiment with and changing up the nuts or adding things like rolled oats is always fun. You really just can’t go wrong serving this side dish with your Thanksgiving dinner.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed sweet potatoes covered covered in a pecan crumble is another classic Thanksgiving side dish that you cannot go wrong with!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk (or cream)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Boil the sweet potatoes in water until tender, about 20-30 minutes, drain and mash.
- Mix in the sugar, maple syrup, milk, eggs, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and pour the mixture into a baking dish.
- Mix the brown sugar, flour butter and pecans until it forms crumbs and sprinkle it on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Potato Skins with Pecan Streusel (aka Individual Sweet Potato Casserole)
Baked Sweet Potato Oatmeal with Pecan Streusel
Sweet Potato Bread with Praline Sauce
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Maple Pecan Melting Sweet Potatoes
Muffin Pan Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Gratins
Creamy Brie Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Soup
Parmesan Garlic Miso Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes