Not too long ago I go an email asking me if I had ever been to a Houston’s restaurant and if I had tried their ‘evil jungle noodle salad’. That was the first that I had heard of either but the description that I had been given of the salad sounded really good. It was described as containing: mango, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, cilantro and mint along with the noodles and that was all topped off with some lightly seared sliced beef. This salad is just jam packed with so many good things and with the mango and avocado it reminded me a little of the mango, avocado and grilled shrimp salad with a peanut dressing that I had made a while ago and enjoyed so much. After reading the description and a quick search for recipes I threw together this version of a Thai beef noodle salad that turned out really well. (Don’t let the long list of ingredients deter you as this is one really nice salad.) Once again I was amazed by the creamy avocado and sweet and juice mango combination that really brought this salad over the edge. The combination of the classic western salad ingredients worked really well with the more Asian ingredients and flavours and the steak of course finished the salad off nicely turning it into a more of a light meal.
Thai Beef Noodle Salad
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (grated or brown sugar)
- 1/2 pound steak (your choice of cut)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ounce rice noodles
- 1/2 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 1/2 cup cabbage (shredded)
- 1 carrot (julienned)
- 1 avocado (stoned, scooped and diced)
- 1 mango (stoned scooped and diced)
- 1/2 cucumber (diced)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 birds eye chilies (sliced)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 handful mint (chopped)
- 1 handful basil (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar (grated or brown sugar)
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 handful peanuts (roasted and chopped)
- Marinate the steak in the fish sauce, lime, and sugar for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Grill the steak until medium rare, abut 2-3 minutes per side and set aside to rest.
- Pour boiling water over the noodles and let them soak until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix the salad.
- Mix the dressing.
- Toss the salad in the dressing and serve topped with the steak.