I have been come across this tomato pie a few times lately and it has always looked so good. With the farmers market being full of perfectly ripe field tomatoes, now was the perfect time to make it! One of my favorite ways of enjoying tomatoes is a simple open faced sandwich with a bit of mayo and sliced tomatoes all topped off with some melted cheddar cheese and this pie incorporates all of those ingredients and adds in some bacon to make it even better! It may not be the healthiest of pies but how can you go wrong with tomatoes, bacon, cheese, mayonnaise and a full butter pie crust? Once you have your crust this pie is as easy to make as slicing the tomatoes, mixing the rest of the ingredients and baking for a short while and it is so worth it! This tomato pie is just as good as it looks and as the ingredients suggest! I could barely wait for the pie to cool down before digging in and the slices are disappearing very quickly!
- 1 pie crust
- 4 large tomatoes (sliced thickly)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup green onions (sliced)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup bacon (sliced into 1 inch pieces and cooked)
- Place the tomato slices on the bottom of the pie shell in one or two layers and sprinkle with the sugar, pepper and green onions.
- Mix the mayonnaise, cheese and bacon and spread over the tomatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until golden brown and bubbling, about 20-30 minutes.