I only had a little bit of the turkey stock left and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. I had not had ramen in a while and I had been craving it. The flavour of ramen is greatly determined by the quality of the broth. Although you can make tasty ramen with store bought stock a good home made stock will always be better. The only problem was that I only had 1 cup of turkey stock and I needed 2… I decided to soften some dried shiitake mushrooms in a cup of boiling water and use the resulting mushroom flavoured water for the remaining liquid component of the broth. This added a really nice shiitake mushroom flavour to the broth. The final component of the broth was a tablespoon of miso paste. I decided to finish the ramen off with some baby bok choy and bean sprouts. Everything was simmered in the broth thus adding even more flavour to it. The turkey ramen turned out pretty good. The broth was really tasty! I was in a bit of a rush and I completely forgot about the green onion! It is so nice to have turkey leftovers!
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup turkey stock
- 1 serving cooked turkey (sliced)
- 1 baby bok choy
- 1 handful bean sprouts
- 1 serving ramen noodles (cooked as directed) (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 green onion (chopped, optional)
- togarashi to taste (optional)
- Let the mushrooms soak in the hot water for 10-20 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the water (reserving the water) and slice.
- Bring the turkey stock, mushroom water, turkey and mushrooms to a boil.
- Remove the turkey and mushrooms from the broth and set aside.
- Add the baby bok choy to the broth and simmer until just wilted.
- Remove the bok choy from the broth and set aside.
- Add the bean sprouts to the broth and simmer for a minute.
- Remove the bean sprouts from the broth and set aside.
- Remove the broth from the heat.
- Dissolve the miso paste into a a few tablespoons of the broth and mix it back into the broth.
- Assemble by placing the noodles into a bowl followed by the turkey, mushrooms, bok choy and bean sprouts. Pour the both into the bowl and garnish with the green onions slices.