Potato salads are a summer meal staple and one of my favourites! Usually I go with creamy mayonnaise based potatoes salads but this German style potato salad in a mustard and vinegar dressing gives them a run for their money! The stars of this salad are the potatoes and the bacon! The dressing is made by cooking diced onion in the bacon grease along with some garlic before adding plenty of vinegar along with both grainy mustard and dijon mustard and it’s all seasoned with some salt and pepper. With all of the vinegar and mustard, this is a pretty tart salad (just the way I like it!) and it’s commonly mellowed out a bit with some sugar (optional). I like to add some sriracha to the mix for some spicy heat and it’s all finished off with fresh parsley and sliced green onions! This German potato salad is an amazing side for any summer meal whether it’s a cookout, a BBQ, a picnic, etc.!
Warm German Potato Salad
Potato salad in a tangy vinegar and mustard dressing with bacon that’s best enjoyed while warm!
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cubed (optionally peeled)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small onion, diced or sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cover the potatoes in water in a large pot, bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes, before draining.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large pan and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoon bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook in the bacon grease until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the vinegar, mustards, and sugar mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste, before turning off the heat.
- Add the potatoes, bacon, and parsley, toss to coat and enjoy while warm!
Option: Add hot sauce, such as sriracha, for some spicy heat!
This is one potato salad you will want make over & over it is so delicious
Made this for supper tonight and it was delicious
Barbara Heimlich says
Recipe asks for a red onion but the phone shows white onion …. I think white would be best
Can you add eggs like traditional potato salad?
Yes you can!
Cyber Kitty says
I see green onion in one of the pics. Cooked or raw? How much? Adds a nice colour.
I sometimes add 2 sliced green onions after cooking, raw, for more onion flavour!
This recipe is fabulous! Just the right mixture of flavor & tang. I will use this recipe again.
Sue Kelly says
Made this dish to accompany BBQ yesterday 😊 it was really delicious and everyone commented on it. That’s on my summer list of faves now!
Turned it into a mail dish tonight by adding some kielbasa, diced green onions. Everyone loved it!