I was looking for something lighter and healthier and since both corn and zucchini are in season, plentiful, and on hand I wanted to use both of them. Quinoa salads never fail when light and tasty meals are on the table and I was thinking that a corn and zucchini quinoa salad would be nice. The corn got me to thinking texmex and the next thing I knew it was a corn and zucchini quinoa salad seasoned with taco spices . I feel that spices like this are best when they have had a chance to cook with the dish to release all of their flavours and mingle with the rest of the ingredients. Since this was going to be a mostly fresh salad I decided to add the taco seasoning to the quinoa while it cooked so that the quinoa would be infused with its flavours. I then finished the salad off with some more texmex style ingredients including black beans, green onions, cilantro and some cotija cheese. This quinoa salad was nice and easy to make and it turned out really well. I really liked the way the spicy taco seasoned quinoa worked with the sweet corn and raw zucchini in this salad. The beans added a nice creaminess and the cotija cheese was the perfect finish to this salad. One of the good things about salads like this is that the leftovers are just as good straight from the fridge so they make super quick snacks or light meals.
Zucchini and Corn Taco Seasoned Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 batch taco seasoning
- 1 ear corn (grilled and kernels cut from cob)
- 1 cup zucchini (grated)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lime (juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cotija (crumbled)
- Simmer the quinoa in the water along with the taco seasoning until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Mix the quinoa, corn, zucchini, black beans, jalapeno pepper, green onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Mix the oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss the salad in the dressing and serve garnished with cotija cheese.