I enjoy savoury breakfasts and for cooler days, hearty breakfasts, like this taco egg casserole! Breakfast egg casseroles are super easy and simple, a mix of eggs and dairy, like cheese that sets when baked so that you can slice them into individual servings. You can add pretty much any flavours to an egg casserole and these ones are themed off of tacos with taco seasoned beef, cheddar cheese, a jalapeno, onions and cilantro. Normally I would mix all of the ingredients into an egg casserole but it’s also fun to sprinkle some of the beef on top, along with more cheese and bake it a little longer, until the cheese has melted! These taco egg casserole slices are perfect for breakfasts either warmed or cool from the fridge and they are also good when topped with your favourite taco fillings, like sour cream, avocado, etc.
Taco Egg Casserole
A quick and easy breakfast egg casserole filled with taco seasoned meat and plenty of cheese and topped with even more meat and cheese!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced or diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cook the beef and onion in a large oven safe skillet, breaking it apart as it cooks, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and water and cook until the liquid cooks off before setting half of the taco meat aside.
- Mix the eggs, cottage cheese, half of the cheddar cheese, jalapeno, green onions and cilantro and pour over the taco meat in the skillet.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the eggs are just set and the top is lightly golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining meat over the top followed by the remaining cheddar cheese and return to the oven until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
Option: Serve topped with your favourite taco toppings!
Option: Replace the taco seasoned beef with Mexican style pork chorizo sausage!
Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
Taco Stuffed Shells
Taco Quesadilla Pizzas
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Hot Cheesy Bean Dip
Zucchini and Corn Taco Seasoned Quinoa Salad
Chipotle Tuna 7 Layer Dip
Taco Lime Grilled Chicken
Chicken Fajita Pasta
Creamy Avocado Zucchini Noodle Pasta with Taco Lime Grilled Shrimp
Taco Lime Grilled Shrimp
Chicken Fajita Soup
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Pico de Gallo Chicken
Cheesy Beef Enchilada Tortellini Skillet
Chicken and Avocado Tacos
Cheesy Taco Pasta
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Nachos
Breakfast Chorizo Quesadilla Topped with a Fried Egg
Chorizo Scrambled Eggs Breakfast Tacos
Chorizo and Scrambled Egg Burrito
Chorizo and Potato Tostadas with Fried Eggs