Taco stuffed shells have been on my to try list for a long time and when I recently came across some taco stuffed shells on Inspired Taste I could not put off making them any longer. The basic idea of the taco stuffed shells is that large pasta shells are stuffed with the flavours of tacos and then covered in cheese and baked. For the taco inspired filling I started out with ground beef that I flavoured with a homemade taco seasoning blend along with some onions and garlic. I then filled the mixture out, and made it a bit healthier, with some tomatoes, corn and black beans before finishing it off some hot sauce and creamy goat cheese. The shells are then stuffed with the filling and placed in a baking pan with a layer of salsa on the bottom and then cheese is sprinkled on along with some bread crumbs for a crunchy topping.
These taco stuffed shells are great all by themselves but feel free to serve them with your favourite taco filling like lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and avocados.
Taco Stuffed Shells
Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with a taco inspired mixture of beef, corn, black beans and goat cheese that’s covered in cheese and baked in salsa.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 ounces goat cheese (or cream cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pound large pasta shells, cooked (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (or oil)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- Cook the beef and onions in a pan, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, before draining any excess grease.
- Add the garlic and taco seasoning, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the taco seasoning, tomato puree, corn, black beans and goat cheese and cook until the goat cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the salsa into a large baking dish, stuff the shells with the beef mixture and place them in the salsa.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top followed by the mixture of the butter and bread crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted and the bread crumbs turn golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Taco Quesadilla Pizzas
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Chicken Fajita Pasta
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Corn and Zucchini Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
Baked Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Asparagus Pesto and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Cheesy Taco Pasta
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Taco Egg Casserole