It certainly has been a while since I last had a pizza and lately I have been craving one. I have a fairly large list of pizza ideas to try and next up on that list was a taco pizza. The basic idea being a pizza with all of your favourite taco flavours. It seemed only natural to use a spicy salsa in place of the pizza sauce as salsa is almost a required ingredient in your basic tacos. I went with my salsa ranchera which is a quick and easy to make salsa but you could easily use your favourite store bought salsa instead. Next up was the meat and I decided to go with ground beef seasoned with a taco seasoning blend , though I was also thinking that seasoned shredded chicken or even seasoned black beans for a vegetarian version would also work well. I finished the pizza off with some shredded jack and cheddar cheese.
When I made the Thai chicken pizza with spicy peanut sauce I found out that topping a baked pizza off with fresh ingredients can be really nice and it is the perfect way to get more of your favourite taco condiments into this taco pizza. I kept things simple and went with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and a drizzle of sour cream. I could also see going with a freshly home made pico de gallo or some diced avocado. The sky is the limit here and you could go for pretty much any of your favourite tacos condiments here.
I have to say that this taco pizza turned out amazingly well! The pizza was great all by itself with the tasty salsa ranchera, seasoned beef and ooey gooey melted cheese but adding the lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream really took it over the edge. It was just like eating tacos and almost as messy with the topping spilling off with every bite! Once again the fresh toppings on the pizza worked fantastically well and I will have to keep that in mind when making other pizzas.
A taco pizza with a spicy ranchera sauce, seasoned ground beef and ooey gooey melted cheese, topped with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning or 1/2 store bought packet
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 cup salsa ranchera or your favourite salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 handful cilantro
- sour cream to taste
- Brown the meat in a pan and drain the grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and water and simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
- Spread the pizza dough out on the baking sheet and top with the salsa ranchera, seasoned ground beef and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 500F/260C oven until the cheese is bubbling and the edges are golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Let cool a bit and top with the lettuce, tomato, cilantro and sour cream.
Taco Quesadilla Pizzas
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Thai Chicken Pizza with Sweet Chili Sauce
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Taco Stuffed Shells
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Corned Beef and Cabbage Pizza
Shrimp Scampi Pizza
Cheesy Taco Pasta
Taco Egg Casserole
Chicken Taco Tortilla Roll Ups