It has been pretty cold out the last few days. The perfect weather for a nice warm bowl of soup! I had been wanting to try this tom yum goong soup since I saw it. Tom yum goong soup is billed as a hot and sour soup and this combination sounded pretty interesting. It used Thai chili peppers for the heat and lime juice for the sour. You just can't go wrong with large and juicy prawns. I added some soba noodles to give the soup some more body. I was not able to find the nam prik pao so I just omitted it. I liked the fact that the recipe called for simmering the the shrimp shells in the broth to get even more shrimp flavour. The recipe was pretty easy and the soup turned out pretty good. The tom yum goong soup was nice and tasty and I really enjoyed the hot and sour combination. All of the fresh herbs gave the soup a nice freshness that reminded me of warmer days.
1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined, reserve shells)
8 cups shrimp stock (or chicken stock or dashi)
1 inch piece galangal (chopped, or ginger)
4 kaffir lime leaves (chopped)
2 stalks lemongrass (peeled and chopped, or lemon zest)
1 cup shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
2 Thai birdseye chilies (sliced thinly crosswise)
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons nam prik pao (roasted red chili paste, optional)
1 pound soba noodles (optional)
1 lime juiced
1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
1/2 cup green onions (sliced into 1/2 inch pieces)
roasted unsalted peanuts (roughly chopped, optional)
1. Bring the water, shrimp shells, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Strain the solid bits and discard them.
3. Simmer the broth, shiitake mushrooms, chilis, fish sauce and nam prik pao for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the noodles as directed on package.
5. Add the shrimp to the soup and simmer until cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove the soup from the heat and add the noodles, lime juice and cilantro.
7. Garnish with the green onions and peanuts.
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
Tom Yum Baked Tilapia
Tom Yum Grilled Shrimp
Penang Kung (Prawn Penang Curry)
Spicy Shrimp on Coconut Rice
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Pad Thai Soup
Looking for more soup recipes?