I often find myself looking forward to breakfasts on the weekend. During the week breakfasts are always rushed and I don't usually have the time to do anything special. On the weekend however I like to take the time to make a real breakfast and one of my favorites is french toast. Although plain french toast is always nice I often like to play around with french toast by adding different flavours and I am always on the lookout for new ideas. Recently I came across this apple pie french toast on Judy in here Natural Habitat: The Kitchen that sounded so amazingly good that I just had to try it! This apple pie french toast uses apples in a caramel sauce along with candied walnuts as a topping. You just can't go wrong with the apple and caramel combo and having it for breakfast sounded decadently good and it was! Caramel sauce can sometimes be a bit tricky to make but the one in this recipe was nice and easy and it tasted great! Of course, with all of the caramel sauce there is certainly no need for syrup and I even licked my plate clean to make sure that none of it went to waste. This is easily my favorite french toast so far and it is just like eating apple pie for breakfast!
Apple Pie French Toast
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2
French toast covered in an apple pie compote.
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons candied walnuts
- Simmer the apples, butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon and water until the apples are tender, about 10-15 minutes and set aside.
- Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla in a wide dish.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture to coat on both sides and fry in a pan over medium heat until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve the french toast covered in the caramelized apples along with some candied walnuts.