I still hadn’t satisfied my cravings for apples and I knew that an apple crisp had to be next. Apple crisps are among my favorite desserts. They are really easy to make and they are just so good! I like that you can vary the spices to make then a bit different each time. Although the classic cinnamon and nutmeg combo is probably my favorite I also really enjoyed the almond or amaretti/amaretto version that I had made last year. More recently I came across a vanilla bean apple crisp that sounded nice. I mean, if vanilla ice cream goes so well with apple crisp, and it does, then adding vanilla to the crisp sounded like a great idea. I used some granny smith and some honey crisp apples because I had them on hand but you can use can use your favorite baking apples. I also had some caramel sauce and I thought that it would be really nice if I topped the apple crisp with vanilla ice cream off with some of it. The hot apple crisp with the melting vanilla ice cream all drenched in a warm caramel sauce was so amazing! What a great combination of flavours! I can’t wait till tomorrow to have another piece.
Vanilla Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce
An apple crisp with vanilla bean and caramel sauce.
- 5 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise & scraped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1+ cup caramel sauce
- Toss the apples with the sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and nutmeg.
- Mix the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a large bowl until it forms crumbs.
- Place the apple mixture into an 8×8 inch baking dish and pour the topping on.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
Apple Pie Pizza
Apple Crisp with Amaretto
Pear and Cranberry Crumble
Dulce de Leche Apple Pie
Caramel Apple Pork Chops
Apple Pie French Toast
Apple Rhubarb Crisp
Peach Amaretti Crumble
Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping and Caramel Sauce
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Apple Crisp Pizza with Caramel Sauce
Apple Crumble Quinoa Parfait
Apple Cinnamon Spiral Bread with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Caramel Apple Crumble Cheesecake Dip