I have been a fan of quinoa ever since I discovered it and I am always looking for new ways to enjoy it. I recently came across the idea of using it in an apple and quinoa parfait with a crumble topping on Epicureean Mom that sounded so good that I had to try it! I have used quinoa in parfaits before so I knew that it worked well in them and that this apple crumble one would be a winner! This parfait layers vanilla yogurt with cinnamon spiced quinoa and a simple apple compote and it is topped with a rolled oat crumble! Not only is this parfait easy to make but it is also pretty healthy and makes for a great breakfast! If you have any leftovers, simply throw the components into separate containers and refrigerate them all except the crumble topping and the next day you can use them to throw another parfait together in a few minutes.
Of course everything apple tastes better with caramel sauce ! Caramel covered apple crumble for breakfast! Now that is living!
Apple Crumble Quinoa Parfait
Apple pie parfaits with layers of apple compote, vanilla yogurt and quinoa that is topped off with a rolled oat crumble.
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup water or apple cider
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- Bring the quinoa, water and cinnamon to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes and set aside.
- Mix the flour, rolled oats, sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and butter, spread in a single layer over a baking pan and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until lightly golden brown, about 7-10 minutes and set aside.
- Bring the apples, water, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are tender and the liquid is syrupy, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup of yogurt into 4 large glasses and top with 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/4 cup of apple compote, repeat with a another set of layers an top off with a tablespoon of the crumble topping.
Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Parfait with Gingersnap Pecan Streusel
Blueberry Quinoa Parfait
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Vanilla Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce
Apple Crisp Pizza with Caramel Sauce
Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
Caramel Apple Crumble Cheesecake Dip
Overnight Oatmeal – 8 Ways!
can't wait to try this.
adore all of your recipes.
loyal subscriber- you always amaze!
janet @ the taste space says
Looks like a splendid breakfast, Kevin! Yum!
Rosa's Yummy Yums says
Those parfaits look amazing! A refined dessert.
Dessert for breakfast? I'm SO in! This sounds delicious!
This looks Yummy and simple with your directions. Thanks so much! Can 't wait to get some yogurt. (Love Greek gods…super yum- try it!)
mama to 8
One homemade and 7 adopted
Sweet Tooth says
This looks sinfully good! I would substitute Chobani's apple cinnamon greek yoghurt, though. I bet it would be a great addition!
help writing essays says
An easy way to get into sweetness!
Kathy Runk says
Liked the recipe but using a whole cup of quinoa yields way too much for four servings-I had enough left to make 2 more parfaits if I had more of the other ingredients! Ended up eating the leftovers with brown sugar and apples for breakfast so no problem but suggest you cut the quinoa back to 3/4 cup.