The reason that I was so enthusiastic about making the dulce de leche was that I had recently seen this recipe for a dulce de leche apple pie on The Cooking Photographer that looked so good. Caramel and apples go so well together and with the thought of a caramely dulce de leche apple pie there was no way that I could resist making it! With so many apples at the farmers market these days it was the perfect time to make the pie and I used a mixture of different types of those wonderful varieties of apples. This pie was pretty easy to make with you only needing to mix the apples, dulce de leche and a few other ingredients, assembling the pie and baking it. The hardest part is waiting for the pie to finish baking and then letting it cool while you are intoxicated with its heavenly aroma. The dulce de leche turned out amazingly well and it was very tempting to have seconds of dessert each night! The dulce de leche and apple flavour combination is just as good as the caramel and apple combo and I look forward to using this combo again! Of course I served the dulce de leche apple pie with a scoop of melting vanilla ice cream.
Dulce de Leche Apple Pie
- 6 cups of apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg white mixed with 1 teaspoon of water
- Toss the apples in the dulce de leche, cider and vanilla,
- Mix the sugars, cornstarch, spices and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Fit one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie plate and pour the apples in.
- Fit the remaining pie crust on top and brush with the egg white mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven for 40 minutes.
- Reduce to 375F/190C, remove the foil and bake until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
Vanilla Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce
Apple Crisp with Amaretto
Apple Pie Pizza
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Apple Pie French Toast
Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Apple Crisp Pizza with Caramel Sauce
Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
Apple Cinnamon Spiral Bread with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Overnight Oatmeal – 8 Ways!