Over the last few years I have had some fun experimenting with different kinds of fritters. Most of these fritters have had the man ingredient as a vegetable but I wanted to try something a little bit different and make some fritters with all of the flavours of buffalo chicken and with the recent success of the quinoa fritters, buffalo chicken quinoa fritters were definitely the way to go! How can you go wrong with the flavours of buffalo chicken formed into patties and fried until golden brown and crispy?
The recipe for these buffalo chicken quinoa fritters could not be easier starting off with the quinoa, chicken, hot sauce, blue cheese with an egg and some bread crumbs to hold everything together. After mixing all of the ingredients it is as easy as forming patties and frying them until golden brown and crispy! You can make the fritters as large or small as you like and I went with a smaller size so that I could serve them as two bit appetizers but larger ones would make for a great light meal. If you wanted to keep these on the lighter side you could easily bake the fritters rather than frying them.
If there is someone that is not a big fan of blue cheese you could easily replace it with more cheddar cheese and then you can serve the fritters with a mild blue cheese dressing for those that do like it.
Just look at that pocket of melted blue cheese in there!
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Fritters
All of the flavours of buffalo chicken formed into a patty with quinoa and fried until golden brown and crispy! Serve with carrot and celery sticks and a blue cheese dressing to complete the experience!
Servings: makes 4 appetizer sized servings or 2 meal sized servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cups water
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup hot sauce or to taste
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Simmer the quinoa in the water until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes and let cool enough to handle.
- Mix the cooked quinoa with the chicken, hot sauce, onion, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, adding more breadcrumbs if required to allow it to hold its shape.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and form patties of any size that you desire and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side, and set aside on paper towels to drain.
Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Pesto, Goat Cheese and a Poached Egg