The blackened shrimp and fried green tomato po'boy is one of my favourite sandwiches and when I found myself thinking that it would also make a great salad I just had to try it. The po'boy submarine style sandwich can have pretty much much anything in it with common ingredients being fried seafood but this flavour combo is what I usually go with so that's where I started the salad out. The shrimp are simply tossed in some creole seasoning and then cooked at a high temperature in a pan and the fried green tomatoes are just sliced green tomatoes that are dipped in buttermilk followed by flour and/or cornmeal and fried until golden brown. The rest of the salad composed of lettuce and ripe tomatoes and I could not resist throwing some bacon into the mix! The final component of the salad is a tasty remoulade sauce thinned down a bit with buttermilk to make into more of a dressing. The po'boy sandwich salad experiment was a complete success with all of the flavours working well together and working well in salad form; I know I will be making this salad a lot in the future!
If you like things extra spicy, serve with hot sauce!
This salad is tossed in easy to make, spicy and tasty remoulade dressing.
Blackened Shrimp and Fried Green Tomato Po Boy Salad
A salad inspired by a po'boy sandwich with blackened shrimp and fried green tomatoes in a tasty remoulade sauce.
- 1/2 pound shrimp, shelled and deviened
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt pepper and cayenne to taste
- 4 strips bacon
- 6 cups lettuce, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
For the blackened shrimp:
For the fried green tomatoes:
For the remoulade dressing:
For the salad:
- Toss the shrimp in the seasoning, cook them in the oil in a pan over medium-high heat until cooked, about 1-2 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Dip the tomato slices in the buttermilk, dredge them in the mixture of the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper and fry them in oil over medium-high heat, until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side, before setting on paper towels to drain.
- Puree everything in a blender until smooth.
- Cook and crumble the bacon, mix everything and toss in the dressing.