Mardi Gras is quickly approaching and that’s the perfect excuse to pull out some New Orleans style recipes and I’m starting out with these seared scallops in a cajun mustard cream sauce! The best way to enjoy scallops is often quite simply, seared and in a light sauce so that you can really enjoy the scallops and this is a nice way to do just that. The scallops are seasoned with a cajun seasoning and seared or blackened in a pan over medium-high heat until lightly golden brown on the outside and yet still nice and moist and tender on the inside. Once seared the scallops are set aside and a simple mustard and cream pan sauce is made to serve on top of the scallops. These seared scallops in a cajun mustard cream sauce are perfect as an appetizer/starter or as a light meal, especially during Mardi Gras!
Seared Scallops in a Cajun Mustard Cream Sauce
Seared scallops in a quick, easy and tasty cajun mustard cream sauce that makes for the perfect starter or light meal!
- 1 pound sea scallops (about 1 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cajun mustard (or grainy mustard)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Pat the scallops dry and press on the cajun seasoning.
- Met the butter into the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the scallops and sear until lightly golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the heavy cream, mustards and lemon juice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and serve the scallops in the sauce garnished with the chopped parsley.
Option: Add 1/4 cup chicken broth or seafood broth or white wine to the pan before adding the cream and deglaze the plan by scrapping all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the broth simmers.
Option: Add 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese to the sauce!
Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Blackened Shrimp Avocado Cucumber Bites
Blackened Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Blackened Shrimp and Fried Green Tomato Po Boy Salad
Blackened Shrimp on Kale and Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Andouille Cream
Blackened Catfish Tacos
Maple and Miso Scallops
Sauted Scallops in Miso Sauce