While I was thinking about snacks for the upcoming game day party I got a bit nostalgic about two of my favourite finger foods, buffalo chicken wings and jalapeno poppers, and I had a brilliant idea, why not combine them in the form of jalapeno popper stuffed buffalo chicken meatballs? I started out with a base of ground chicken for the chicken wing theme to which I mixed in finely diced carrots and celery, which are commonly served with wings, along with onions and garlic. I then moved onto the jalapeno popper side of things and combined chopped up jalapenos with poppers common fillings, cream cheese and cheddar cheese, along with some bacon for good measure. I then wrapped the chicken mixture around the cheese mixture, forming meatballs which I then baked in the oven until cooked and lightly golden brown before tossing them in the buffalo chicken hot sauce! Yum! Up next was a garnish of ranch dressing and a bit of crumbled blue cheese to finish things off! Biting into these meatballs is like a dream come true! It starts with a hit of buffalo chicken which bursts apart releasing a spray of ooey gooey melted cheese along with spicy jalapenos and bacon! Game day just couldn't get any better then this!
Skewer these babies up with toothpicks!
Drizzle on some cool and creamy ranch!
A touch of blue cheese is right at home!
Spicy, ooey gooey cheesy goodness!
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
All of the flavours of buffalo chicken and jalapeno poppers rolled up into chicken meatballs cover in buffalo hot sauce and stuffed with melted cheese, bacon and jalapenos! The perfect finger food for watching the game!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup onion, finely minced
- 1/3 cup celery, finely minced
- 1/3 cup carrot, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup buffalo hot sauce
- Mix the ground chicken, egg, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and bacon.
- Roll the chicken mixture into balls, one tablespoon at a time, flatten them, placing one teaspoon of the cheese mixture into the centres of the chicken patties, wrapping the them around the filling and placing them on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until cooked and lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Toss the meatballs in the buffalo hot sauce and enjoy!
Option: Serve topped with or dipped into ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Option: Add 1-2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese to the filling mixture.
Option: Coat in panko breadcrumbs and fry in oil until golden brown and crispy for the ultimate experience!
Option: Transfer to a slow cooker on the keep warm setting to keep them warm until the game.