Today I have a tasty treat for you, crispy fried bang bang shrimp! Bang bang shrimp is a shrimp dish that can be found in Chinese restaurants and it consists of shrimp, typically fried in a crispy batter, served in a spicy creamy mayonnaise and chili sauce. Instead of the more common cornstarch based batter I like to go with panko breadcrumbs for the crispy coating as they provide more nooks and crannies for the sauce to get in and cling to! I like to use the combo of mayo and sweet chili sauce to add a touch of sweetness to the creamy heat of the sauce but feel free to go with something like sriracha chili sauce or even Franks Red Hot sauce! This bang bang shrimp is the perfect appetizer or finger food snack with dipping and it also makes for a nice light meal when served on rice along with a vegetable tossed in the sauce!
Bang Bang Shrimp
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
Crispy shrimp coated in a creamy mayo sweet chili sauce!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour, dip in the egg and coat in breadcrumbs before cooking in oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat until lightly golden brown, about 1-3 minutes per side and setting aside on paper towels to drain.
- Toss the shrimp in the mixture of the mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon hot sauce such as franks red hot or sriracha.
Nutrition Facts Provided by Napier West